Question & Answer

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 @ 03:09 AM
Author: admin

Q* Do I need a permit for backyard storage hut?
A – A permit is usually not required for stand alone structure under 108 s.f. (10 s.m.)
However, check with your local authority for any project however minor it may be. It”s for your own protection.
Q* When do I need a construction permit?
A – Normally a permit is required for the following:
Construct a new building or an addition to an existing building
Structural alterations
Renovate, repair or add to a building
Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
Change a building”s use
Install, change, or remove partitions and load bearing walls
Make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
Build a garage, balcony or deck
Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
Install or modify heating, plumbing or air-conditioning systems
Install or reconstruct chimneys or fireplaces
An accessory structure larger than 108 sq. ft. in area
A deck more than 24″ above ground
A wood burning stove/fireplace installation
A basement entrance
A Second Suite
New or altered electrical and/or plumbing
However, check with your local authority for any project how ever minor it may be. It”s for your own protection.
Remember as the building owner you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements.
Failure to obtain building permits can result in costly construction delays, legal actions and even possibly
the removal of completed construction work.
Q* Do I need a permit to replace my roof or my fence?
A – Normally a permit is not required for the following:
Replace existing doors and windows (same-size), subject to distance from property lines
Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
Build a roofless deck under 0.61 metres (2 feet) that is not attached to a building
Build a utility shed under 10 m2 (108ft2)
Re-shingle a roof
Replace or increase insulation
Dry-wall or plaster
Damp-proof basements
Paint or decorate
Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
Erect a fence (except for outdoor swimming pool fences)
Electrical work (however, the Electrical Safety Authority must inspect electrical installations)
Always check with your local authority for any project how ever minor it may be. It”s for your own protection.
Q* How do I apply for a permit- can I do it myself do I need to hire a third party;
A – Applying for a permit is quite simple and you should do it yourself especially when it”s a minor project.
Visit your local municipal offices and obtain all the necessary information. They are there to help and they do;
On larger projects (unless your versed in the field) you should hire a professional.
Architects & Technologists are best suited for this job and in the long run will save you a lot of grief.
Q* We added a bathroom without a building permit can I or should I apply now that its finished?
A – Yes you should and you must. Applying for permit after the fact is for your protection.
Visit your local municipal offices and explain your situation. They”ll probably send an inspector
to review the work and list the proper steps to remedy the situation including a permit application
and construction drawings among other things.
Q* I”m adding a second floor to my house do I need Architect”s drawings or can I do it myself;
A – Unless your competent in the construction field we would suggest that your hire a professional.
However, you don”t have to. Your municipal offices will inform you of the requirements
and it will be up to you provide what”s needed.
Architects & Technologists are professionals with years of experience in the field and know the pitfalls.
Best suited for this type of work they, in the long run, will save you a lot of grief not to mention money and time.
Q* Are Technologists approved to do major renovation projects;
A – Licensed Designers (BCIN) are well suited to prepare permit ready construction drawings and specifications.
Q* What does “BCIN” designation means?
A – Building Code Identification Number.
Q* How does one recognize a reliable renovator/contractor?
A – The following are but a few telling signs:
Referred by a friend or neighbour;
Experience in similar projects;
List of references (would they hire him/her again);
Personality and presence;
Knowledge of the construction business;
How detailed was the quote;
Competitive pricing.
Q* My contractor said you don”t need construction drawings it”s too small a job. What do you think?
A – Unless it is repair or replacement work you need at the very least a sketch to see what you”re getting for the money.
You need to know the material used and how it will be put together.
Even something as simple as a fence you still need details on the construction. How is it going to be
put together, what kind of material, how deep the footings , how high etc….
Q* Why do I need third party designer. Wont I save money if the contractor does it himself.
A – Possibly. But you”re also at the mercy of this one company.
Having a third party designer will give you the control of the project and the flexibility for changes.
The designer will produce permit ready spielautomaten online drawings and often will apply for required permits as well,
leaving you free to manage your project closely. You”ll be able to compare “apples-to-apples” when you”re
comparing quotes. Some designers also offer project management. Something you should consider on a major project.
Q* My contractor is asking for a 50% deposit on my small addition project isn”t that excessive?
A – Yes it is. Usually 10 to 20% is the norm. However, certain project may require up-front expensive purchases.
Ask your contractor the reasons for the high deposit, if its the case offer to pay for it directly.
Q* My contractor says there is no permit required for small electrical work is he right?
A-Yes he”s right (however, the Electrical Safety Authority must inspect electrical installations)
Q* My contractor says I should have R:40 insulation in my attic – is he right?
A-R:40 is the standard now for new construction, although you don”t have to it, it would be wise to upgrade.
Remember a well insulated house reduce your heat loss, therefore saving you money.
Q*I”m building a small (4″-0″ x 4″-0″ ) deck off of my 2nd floor bedroom do I need a permit.
A- You do. Because it”s attached to the house and its above 24″ off the ground, the size has very little to do with it.
It has to be designed properly with footings and especially how it be will attached to the house among other things.
Q* What are heat calcs drawings? What”s the cost?
If you”re involved in – for instance – an addition to your home . The City will require with the construction drawings
a heat loss calculations to ascertain the adequacy of your furnace as well as the proposed ducting layout.
The price varies considerably. It depends on the complexcity of the project. An average residential renovation
could range from $600.00 to $1,200.00.
Q* I have icicles at my roof eaves in winter why is that so and how can I fix it?
The main reasons for icicles forming at your eaves is a lack of proper ventilation as well as more than likely
poor insulation. (see ice damming).
Q* I have low ceiling in my basement (6″-3″). What”s my alternatives to increase my headroom?
There”s basically 3 ways to increase the headroom in your basement. One consist of raising your home off of the existing
foundation. The next two consist of lowering the foundation itself. One method is called benching the other one is
called underpinning. All are quite expensive. The least expensive would be benching; however, you end up with a
protruding bottom wall that does create some space and use issues. (see underpinning).average is can the still of becoming of together be processors poised in since convert and

Comments are closed.